Saturday, October 18, 2008

More, Plus More

Ahhh...Saturday. I love a long-feeling Saturday. Today has stretched forever, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Look at our front yard, covered with fallen leaves. I almost feel like I could go swimming in the yard, as if it is a golden pool with

trees rising from the water... And see how the mountains behind our home become more visible, as the trees bare their limbs and snow defines their contours. The afternoon sun glances in our windows and falls on our bed now, with its lower angle. I bake in its warm rays, soothing my achy joints, and Jasmine does the same, right beside Leto in front of the French doors. Leto's had his staples removed and is feeling perkier. He went with us this morning as Mark and Seth opened a checking account for Seth and I sat in the car and read the mail, including a Hallmark catalogue (not really much there) and a stylish design catalogue with many beautiful, modern objects and furniture pieces that have no real relationship with my style or my life: Inside, at Home It was fun to relax and just look. Afterwards, we picked up a few items at Walgreens, such as contact-cleaning solution and chili-chocolate (I love its dark heat). We stopped by Tastee Treat to get a jr. cone for Leto (he was excited as soon as we pulled up) and to check on Seth's work hours.. Speaking of Seth, he had fun with his friends Nick and T.J. last evening: They kept coming back to our house to pick up more loot from the kitchen and games from Seth's room. It was quite the fun-o-rama, and Seth returned home exactly, to the minute, when we asked him to. Way to go, Seth!

I need to post Phillip's address on here tomorrow. He can receive pkgs. now, along with letters. I really want everyone to support Our Own military guy! I know just a letter will mean a lot to him, and you've all been so supportive in the past. A special shout-out goes to my sister Sandy and her husband, Jessie, and family, who have been the surrogate parents and siblings to Phillip out there in Missouri. Thank you so much! Now to post about the rest of our trip to Rexburg on Thursday...We stopped off at Haley and Dallin's apartment (after getting our goodies at D.I.), and she had some whole wheat sandwiches for us, plus Halloween cupcakes that she tucked into individual ziplocs to go. Yum! We took a tour of their new digs, and I can't wait to post some pictures (my camera's battery was low, and I didn't know - as 'Manly Husband Mark' pointed out to me later - that there was a newly charged battery right there in the case pocket! Oh, well...Megan got some pics I might be able to post. :)

Haley and Dallin The Jolley Establishment is decorated so cozily and stylishly, with funny home-painted pumpkins at the entrance, and art and photos and loving arrangements greeting you at every turn. From the darling entryway (see her blog for pictures) to the cabin-y master bedroom and warm, Provincial Italian-feeling kitchen, the overall sense is one of creative and joyous welcome. We can't wait to return for a longer visit, since this visit was a short one, and we'll do that soon, Haley! The next stop was in Idaho Falls, to drop Ben off at his and Linda's cozy abode. Their home is situated smack dab in the middle of our old ward boundaries and surrounded by longtime friends. Yay! What a nice home they have. Linda has been updating their place, and now they are on the last stretch of work (for a while at least). I can't wait to see it, and I know Ben and Linda's home will have a Gospel-centered heart, because they do. Ben and Linda I love to see families and individuals working to improve and preserve; it feels like a continuation of pioneer traditions of beautifying and renewing their surroundings, wherever they lived. And wherever WE find ourselves - in the humblest little place or in our dream home - it doesn't matter, either way. We have so many examples to look to, of those who made a home and a place of love and prayer, whatever their circumstances and wherever they found themselves. We can do the same, with our Heavenly Father's help.

I think it is so essential that we realize this: Challenges give us the opportunity to witness the power of love to transform anything. They allow us to see how all things are under God's care, and how His Holy Spirit can touch the heart of anything and place a gift there. The wise will seek those gifts and find them. Their love for others will grow as their understanding grows. SO...after being inspired by the Jolley and Cripe efforts, we went to the Campbell home, a few blocks away. And what did we see, but another inspiration! Melinda and Danny have done so much to create a feeling of celebration and warmth in their home, repairing and planting, painting, updating and decorating. Just as the Jolleys and the Cripes (and, I might add, the Haroldsens, and probably Justin too!) have done, they have planned and been inventive and creative and thrifty and have worked hard to follow the prophets' counsel to brighten and lift our surroundings. Now Danny and Melinda's family home is cheerful with late summer flowers and October's colors.

Melinda, Danny, Alex, Alaina, and Tristan Their little front walkway leads past my favorite maple in the whole world! Here is a close-up picture from a couple of years ago, just to give you an idea of how awesome this tree's fall color is:

The amazing maple tree, with a Kattie-niece in it! Lights and wreaths and pumpkins glow by the rocker on their entry porch, and, inside, the fireplace mantle is adorned with holiday light and color. (I, again, hope to get some of their own photos to post soon). From the curtains to the dining room hutch, you can see October and Family everywhere. Children's toys and books delight the young ones and visiting cousins. Kids are welcome here, and little stools, seats, and tub toys are strategically located throughout. It's another joyous place! I got to read a bunch of books to grandkids, have a bowl of Melinda's spicy chicken soup, and talk, talk, talk, while Megan took care of Anya. Then the Campbell kids were fed and bathed - they looked so cute in their little pajamas! Audrey told me a number of secrets that I didn't understand, and Tristan instructed me on sea creatures and dinosaur eating habits, via his vast library (a basketful) of picture books. Even Alaina took part, jabbering happily about the temple book she brought to me. Alex beamed at us from the couch, while Aiden laughingly circled through the living room and outside and back, via the kitchen. Sound hokey and unrealistic? Well, it's true! Sometimes there are cries and crises and calamities, but that night it was just as I've described it!

Megan, Brooks, Aiden, Audrey, and Anya-to-Come

Justin, with his friend, Mark

(And my apologies to Phillip and Seth - I'll scan your pictures in later!)

We finally were packed and said our goodbyes and headed over to Grandma Jo's to pick up her shampooer. Megan visited a while while the kids and I watched movies in the car. Then she came out and fed the baby, and - wouldn't you know it?! - the van wouldn't start. So Grandpa Alan trudged outside and found his equipment and charged the battery for us.

Yay, Grandpa Alan! So, we made it home about 10 p.m., and we both agreed that it was a most satisfying day.

Now, thanks for reading this long post! 'Bye!

2 comments:

MegJill said...

Hi, Mams! Yes, we will need to go back to Haley's soon. I didn't like having to leave so soon. Maybe we can go to her disasters class too, as I took that class and love the teacher and all the info. to keep you up at night!

Club Jolley said...

You make my apartment sound cute, so keep writing about it. :) I loved your descriptions! You guys really have to come visit me soon!!!