Thursday, October 2, 2008

Leto Update

Well, we about lost Leto tonight. I called Mark right away, but he was out of town, so I called over at Megan's to see if Melinda could rush back over and take us to the vet's. Megan came, with the baby, and Melinda stayed with the other kids at Megan's apartment. We rushed Leto to the vet's office, around the corner on Yellowstone. Meantime, Leto was howling and groaning and in very acute pain. I could feel that his tummy was hard and swollen and I suspected bloat, because I knew G. Shep. Dogs are prone to it; he'd eaten lots of food last night and today, after being out of his special Dental Care Science Diet food for a few days (we gave him other things in the interim, that he does well with). I didn't think about the aide giving him another bowl of food or anything - I had gotten careless and wasn't thinking about portion control or bloating. Anyway, it was torture seeing Leto suffer. He didn't know why, and he'd try and get comfortable, but nothing helped. Fortunately, we were home and he's always with us, so I noticed it immediately and the vet took him in right away. It was definitely bloat, and the x-rays looked like a twisted bowel, which requires emergency surgery. There would still only be a fifty percent chance that Leto would make it, and it would cost $2,ooo. I knew that was impossible, but called Mark to confirm. I asked the vet to put Leto down and out of his pain, but he said he'd given him morphine and it would kick the pain. Then the vet assistant suggested they try a procedure that would only work if his bowel really wasn't twisted. It was a small chance, but they just went ahead without any discussion. They put Leto under (his eyes were still open and he was blinking) and put a huge, long, stiff tube down his throat. Then they put a smaller tube into that one and got all the foamy contents of his bloated tummy out. His abdomen looked normal again, but the vet figured it would bloat back up again, because of the twist. In that case, we could say our goodbyes right then. Megan and I went across the street to Tastee Treat, to take Seth from work so he could tell Leto goodbye. When we got back to the vet's, Mark was there, too. He was already back with Leto, who had regained consciousness and was lying down on a pink blanket on the floor of a kennel room. Mark was by his side, clearly shook up. He got up and we let Seth be with Leto. We were all crying, and this time Seth didn't claim it was something in his eyes. Seth lay down with Leto for awhile, talking to him. Then I got down off my wheelchair and lay down beside Leto, telling him what a good doggie he was. It's so hard with a large animal, because they are so much of a presence in your life, and it's so hard to see them lying down, helpless...almost lifeless. Leto lifted his head and tried to get up whenever we'd get up, but he couldn't. We told him that it was a "good stay." I prayed that Leto would live if it was God's will, but if not, or if not best for Leto, then let him die. Mark went back in with him and blessed him that he would live until his life's work was over. Megan paid the vet bill of $500, and we have until December to repay. She wished she could just give it to us, but she needs it for bills that month. Seth gave us $100 towards the pot to pay Megan back, voluntarily. That was so sweet. The vet said he'd call before he put him down, and "no news is good news." We dropped Seth back off at work and went home to wait. I was watching the Sarah Palin-Joe Biden debate and Mark stayed busy, not wanting to just sit around and wait for the word that Leto was gone. Later, Seth got home and he felt the same way - he even asked for chores to do. As the evening went on, we were happy that we'd heard no news yet, and we were able to joke a little about how, if he made it, we'd tell Leto, "I'll brush you, Leto! I'll polish your nails!" Everyone felt the same way - we just wanted Leto back! It was with great joy that, when the vet did call, I heard him tell me that, "Leto is doing great!" He said he's still not out of the woods and he may need an operation later - but it looks really promising! Yay!!!

4 comments:

MegJill said...

I'm SO glad to hear that Leto is doing better! This was a crazy day, or afternoon. Thank you for letting me be there with you and Leto at the vets. Mel and the kids seemed to have a good time, although I think the kids were getting tired, all of them. Laney was sleeping with a bottle as they drove away to go home. I feel like something will work out to help with the vet bill. I'm just glad that leto feels better. That was a close one. Oh, and I'll paint his nails too! He can even use my favorite color.

Club Jolley said...

P.S. For Noodle and Doc: Can I donate $100 for Leto's vet bill? I will bring it this weekend.

Club Jolley said...

I can't believe that happened! You are such a good writer, I started crying like a little baby when I read about you guys saying bye to him. Wahhhh.... Poor Leto. I'm so glad he didn't die (although it would be nice not to have his fur all over the house). :)

Noodle said...

Yes, you can donate, Mrs. Haley and Mister Dallin!
That is very kind and thoughtful of you two, and it's amazing, in these times, that anyone is able to help out like that.
I love that you're all so generous and that you lift each other up when you're down: That's the Law of Consecration in action. No wonder the Family is the basic unit of our Heavenly Father's kingdom!

P.S. Right now, things are looking good for Leto, post-operation. More tomorrow on that. :)