On this day in 2010 the sky is whispery and warm and there are large numbers of garulous birds in our trees. Can you tell I've been rereading Housekeeping? It's my pick for the book club next month, the first novel by Marilynne Robinson, a word artist whose prose turns and floats and is light and easy, yet evokes powerful sensations and memories that linger at the periphery of conscious awareness: pale skies and old homes that smell like postcards in photo albums, mud on my tough boy-shoes, and high grass filled with webs. They are vivid and unexamined and sensory and they turn into dreams of gladiolus flowers, growing in masses.
That's exactly what happens, and her writing is unique in my experience.
Seth woke me before seven this morning. He has class all day long every other Saturday. We both thought he would enjoy himself today. There's a camaraderie in learning a medical-type profession. I think it's simply because you start to feel separate from the rest of the population - from those that you will be serving. It's a 'secret clubhouse' kind of feeling.
Yesterday we ran some errands, then took Leto for some ice cream. That marked the trip as an event for Leto. When I go out on the back concrete and read, he lays in the lush grass, half-awake and taking in the sounds and smells of our neighborhood. Tut goes outside with us, stretching out on the patio table. It's very peaceful here.
Our car is having some work done on it. The guy is doing the job for free, and Seth will help him so he can learn more about car engines. We need front shocks and a new tire and the tires all need to be rotated. We'll wait for those things, but the cracked gasket in the 't pan' (?) will be fixed now. We put oil in the car quite frequently. Maybe this will stop the leak somehow. Idk much about it, but I'm glad we are able to attend to the car, as well as the yard. Seth cut weeds yesterday with our machete, and we hope to spray them down (and out!). They're along the far side of the driveway.
I had such a good visit to Danny and Melinda's last Wednesday and Thursday. Seth dropped me off in the early afternoon before book club, and Justin drove me home late Thurs. night. While I was in IF, Mel took me to see the dentist and I was able to get a small adjustment to my new teeth that improves their fit. Yay! And we went to T.J. Maxx and I bought some bath soak, and liq. hand soap that smells like almonds. Mmmm. I was looking forward to a most sensual bathtime, but, alas, I left them at Melinda's. Ahh well...I still had a great visit with them, and Lainey said some funny things that Melinda might post, so I won't tell you myself.
Their kitchen felt like autumn, so warm and vibrant with trees outside and cooking inside. I hesitate to describe it, because I know it's painful for Haley and Megan to miss out on. Just try to be happy for us, and look forward to further times of togetherness, because I know they are coming!
I picked up some cds from Melinda. They are from Megan, and they contain pictures she took of Danny and Melinda's family, of her own family's trip out here, and of other things that I'm excited to see. Thanks, Megan!!
Thank you for reading this, and Phillip, we did get that errand accomplished for you. : )Mark is doing well and enjoying the use of a car. His job feels stable, at least as much as one can in this economy, and that is something we appreciate!
Best wishes to all of you!
xoxoxo
3 comments:
I love days when the air is cool and soft! If only fall lasted longer. At least here we get a few more months of it. I remember Christmas this last year and although it didn't feel like fall it was still nice! And Thanksgiving was very fallish, with us all running int he Turkey Trot.
Car repairs are NO fun! I hate how they are always so expensive. Hopefully you can get everything done you need to on the van. Is is usable at all, or is it going to take a while before you can drive it again?
I'm so glad Doc has a car in Las Vegas! Now he can visit all the clubs! Hehehe. No, I know what it is like to be stuck without a car and it is kind of belittling to be dependent on others or just be stuck. I spent many years stuck without a car when Brooks had it at school!
Ummm. You need to come here. Right now! It is getting so pretty. I want to go to Boston and Salem for Halloween. Wouldn't that be so fun?! Plus, going there we would pass through New York City and we could stay with Celeste and see Wicked. Let's just all pretend we are rich and plan a trip together! Hmmm. That could make a fun blog post!
I think I am going to enjoy this book. I like descriptive, pretty writing. Thanks for picking something "fun" to read!
You write so beautifully, I love reading it. I need to read that book, Housekeeping, too.
Your trip to Mel's house sounds so fun! No fair! I don't mind if you say the fun details, even if it does make me sad that I can't be there. It's so funny, I don't live very far away, is SEEMS like I should be able to come over any time! You and Seth should drive up here and visit me! Hunter would love that too, since he is fascinated with your wheelchair. :)
Post a Comment