(Watch for updates on the photos to the right. I plan to change them soon.)
I remember something I was going to tell you all: The other day someone called here for medical info., and I told them to hang on while I retrieved it. On coming back to the phone, I gave them the information, but they didn't reply. It was so weird, just dead silence and no dial tone, either.
I was just about to ask them if they were still there, when I realized I'd been talking into the tv remote control.
Isn't that hilarious?
Fortunately, she was still on the phone and I gave her the info. she needed.
Hah!
Haley, I agree about the Jane Austen books. They are wonderful! Also, the ones by the Bronte (I don't know how to type the accent over the e) sisters. I think you've read the Little House books; the Little Britches series is wonderful. Have you read Little Women? I love the Dune series, but it's a particular sci fi taste that you might not enjoy. People really like Madeline L'Engle's books, and Orson Scott Card's. They're fantasy and sci fi, too.
It's easier to recommend authors than books, for some reason. You know I love Betty MacDonald's writing. Pearl S. Buck's books are wonderful, especially The Good Earth. And there's always GWTW, one of my favorites. Black Beauty is so sad, but I've always loved it. Also, Lois Lowry's The Giver.
Cheaper By the Dozen has some good sequels, and the James Herriot books are excellent. I know I'm forgetting so many, but my books are packed up right now.
I love biographies and autobiographies. You should check out that section in the library.
You've probably read The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton - it's such a great story. I like YA fiction, obviously, and kid's books. Other favorites are Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, and The Velveteen Rabbit (an absolute favorite).
If you haven't read Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, you ought to, I think. They're just wonderful. The Oz books are good. And the Narnia series is wonderful, too.
Personally, I enjoy reading Nancy Drew, and The Happy Hollisters.
Have you read Wild Swans? If you haven't, go check it out! It's outrageously interesting and absorbing and educational and inspiring.
I'll add more books to this post as I remember them, so check back later, but at least these are some that I really like and would recommend looking at. I absolutely love nonfiction, and one of the best is The Devil in the White City, so you might look that up, too.
Nothing is really going on today. Seth has class this evening, and yesterday he took the car to be repaired (he said it runs much smoother now - yay!). The weather is gorgeous, and I leave the patio doors open all the time.
Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate them! And, Megan, I looked at your photo cds, and I can't believe how many good pictures you got of the Campbells. Also, you and Kim got so many great shots of your family last year. Great action shots of Aiden and the kite, too.
So, take care and I will post more later!
xoxoxo
3 comments:
I have learned that almost ANY book recommendation that you give is WONDERFUL! Black Beauty was my favorite book when I was a kid and really saved me when you were in the hospital. Remember when I called you crying and said that I really missed you, and you told me to read Black Beauty? That was the beginning of my love for books.
And Wild Swans was soo interesting, and Cheaper by the Dozen was really hilarious (I read "Bells on Their Toes," is that one of the sequels?). I've also read the Betty McDonald books (again, another book you told me to read and I have re-read it several times). The next ones I want to read are The Good Earth, you and Melinda always tell me how good that is. It's funny that you mentioned Little Women, because I just started re-reading that a couple of days ago. It's one of my absolute favorites, practically every chapter makes me cry a little just because I love it so much. Little Women, the movie, is soo good, but the book is even better! I wish everyone would read it... sigh... I never realized how many books I love that YOU recommended! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! I can always count on you to tell me what to read next.
I can tell that you've instilled a love for reading in all of us kids. I remember you reading books on a blanket in the backyard sitting in the sun, and now I like to spend a little while every afternoon just reading. I'm so glad you showed us how magical books can be. :)
Ooohhh, those are so many of my favorite books, too! I just started re-reading Jane Eyre and was thinking of a re-read of Little Women. It's been way too long since I read that one. Justin loaned me Tunnel in the Sky and I think I will read that soon, and I just checked out Housekeeping and am the next one on the list to get Snowflower and the Secret Fan, which I'm excited about. I agree, most of my favorite books are children's or at least I read them when I was younger! I always said at B&N that my favorite section was the children's classics section. Ones you said, like Black Beauty and Where the Red Fern grows. I read Still Alice that Tara recommended and really enjoyed it- I think you would both like it. Sad, but makes you see things in a whole new light. And makes you question what makes a life worthwhile. Danny is really into the Wheel of Time series right now. Ummm... this is turning into a whole blog post. But let me just say that I love books and hope to instill that love in my children, as well as you have in us. Someone said, "(by) reading.. you give up a little of your own authority. You meld with something else. And that is scary but exhilirating." I totally agree!!
I need to read Wind Swans, and finally after all the these years of you trying to get me to read Rebecca, I need to give it a try! I didn't really like to read until a few years ago, and even now I have to be in the right mood. I'm doing a blog post of some of the books I've been reading too. Still Alice is one I'd like to try reading too. You and Mel and like champion readers who can read anything in a day!
Post a Comment