Hello there! I'm so excited! Haley and Dallin are here in Idaho for him to interview for a job! She's coming over tomorrow with the kids, so we can visit. Yay!
And Saturday Alex and Tristan are getting baptized! They're having a luncheon afterwards, too.
And Sunday Kattie and Ben's baby Ava is getting blessed! I believe they're having a dinner after, too.
Isn't that all exciting? I feel sad that Megan and Brooks can't be here for it all. I so want to visit West Virginia! At least we can talk about our experiences, and Skype and blog. And at some point, we can even make those blogs into books for our children and grandchildren to have. Can you imagine?
I have pictures of my grandparents and great-grandparents, and they must've felt the same way when those were taken: what a wonder it likely was, and something that previous generations had not had the benefit of. Their children and descendants would have their exact likenesses, to keep in perpetuity!
Most of us have hard copies and cds of pictures of our fore-bearers, scanned into computers and shared with our families. (Which reminds me that I owe a cd to Bonnie and Dennis! : )
These family pictures and other records are sacred. I love to look at the scans of pictures from long ago and go in really close, to see the details of the yards and homes, clothing and hairstyles. And faces. I can't get enough of faces...I look in their eyes and wonder how I'm doing, in their eyes. I feel their love from the other side, and their desire for me to make choices that will lead me back to our Heavenly Father. They are rooting for all of us!
I've always held the hope that when I die, through the Atonement of
Jesus Christ, I will be magically transformed into the person I want to be, worthy to
live with my family and my Heavenly parents and Christ for eternity. I've always wanted that so much and believed in it!
_ _ _
Okay, now I'm going to wax philosophical for a while:
I
think that most of us, whatever our specific beliefs, desire relief from the parts of earth life that are discouraging and painful and destructive. Admittedly, all of us make poor choices at times, and those choices have consequences. Some of us are misled or confused, wandering away from peace and understanding. And, believe it or not, there are some that actually enjoy entropy and destruction. Their actions cause much of the pain and suffering.
Over time, for most of us, our lives begin to reflect our true desires: often, this may not be reflected in worldly
success, but in the quality of our existence and whether our life has a sense of purpose and meaning. Some of us, however, still suffer anxiety and fears that hold us back. We wonder if we are making the best use of our time and making the best choices. We are so aware of our choices that we have a hard time making them, and we continually second-guess ourselves. I was like this.
One day, when I was reading the scriptures and praying about these things, it suddenly dawned on me that the Atonement works right now, whenever I repent. Jesus Christ's sacrifice washes my garments clean in this life - there's no waiting! And Christ promises that all things will work together for good, for them that love God. As long as my desires and efforts are sincere, they are acceptable.
So as we sincerely repent, we are made pure - we are literally transformed. And we are invited to do that freely, every day. We are invited to talk to our Heavenly Father whenever we want to. He wants us to ask for His help, and He gives us guidance and comfort through the Holy Ghost.
That change in our spirits affect everything in our lives! Eternity is right now - there's no waiting for the miracle of light and joy, even as we are living in a temporal world.
Most of you are probably aware of all this, but somehow I didn't internalize the immediacy of the Atonement in our lives. And that understanding makes it possible to open my eyes and look around with gratitude, to see opportunities to act, and to accept my own efforts.
I know that we are partners with our Heavenly Father. He knows us and accepts and loves us. He guides and teaches us, and makes our small, daily efforts so much more than what we can see with our earthly eyes.
What a blessing we have in the Atonement!
I just had to share those experiences with you, and pray that my thoughts and the things I learn might help you, just as you help me.
_ _ _
Now, back to the daily details. ; )
My aide helped me rearrange things in here yesterday (she is such a good worker!), and it's so much better! We took the long craft table all the way down to the window and moved the little craft table down where my computer table was; that, we moved towards the window. Anyway, the result is that Leto still has his bed by the window, and the little craft table isn't sticking out. And I have a dedicated writing table! Even Mark remarked that the whole area looks so much better, and I can write by the lamp, with all my materials handy and nothing else on that table. I'm so happy with the results!
As for other news, I don't have much. Emme came over one afternoon, all by herself. We watched Ponyo and snuggled in bed, and Grandpa brought us each a big chocolate chip cookie. : )
It's been snowing lately, even in May. And it's not a freak, one-day thing, either. Mark said that this is the second-coldest Spring on record!
And that's all that I can remember right now. We're hanging in there!
We love you! Hugs to everyone!
xoxoxo

7 comments:
I can't believe it is still snowing there! We are about to turn the AC on. Just holding out as long as we can. All the trees are in bloom and the pots have flowers blooming in them. I am dying to start getting the front porch railing project going. The kids are in shorts and skirts and sandals everyday. Yes, you should probably come visit us!!!
Tell Bailers and Kattie and everyone hi and that we are sad we missed all the family fun!
I loved your testimony of the Atonement. Thank you for sharing that! I have a testimony too, that the Atonement truly changes our spirits, refines them, and makes us more like Christ every time we allow it to. There is something amazing to me that every time we make a mistake, we can repent and have our hearts renewed and cleaned time and again. It is amazing, and we can't even begin to fathom how eternal and all-encompassing it is. No one is left out or too old or worn out or messed up. And it's the only way we can be together as a family, which is the most important goal to me, so I need to be more diligent in using the Atonement!
Also, that was sooo fun visiting you. And your new writing desk and everything looks very organized and pretty and cozy! We had a great time visiting, and Hunter continues to talk about Leto, Mcdonald's, Tut, you and Grandpa Doc, etc. And I keep talking about Doc's delicioso homemade ice cream and his chocolate chip/walnut cookies he brought to the luncheon. Yuuuuuum!
Thanks for commenting, Megan and Haley! Your weather sounds so nice, Meg. Wowsers!
Haley, I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip! Now Hunter will continue to know us. :) Yes, Mark is amazing, isn't he? It's crazy how good his food is!
I have a difficult time leaving posts sometimes. I type and then poof! Nothing. lol Then I can't remember what I said! But I enjoy your testimony and how you express things, Diane. I will look forward to the CD, and thanks for thinking of us! Counting down a little over a month now...I can't tell you how many times I've packed/repacked. lol Looking forward to coming and seeing y'all. Watching your daily weather forecast for further information. Is it possible to buy a windbreaker there? I can't find anything here, and by the time we come, it will be 110 degrees with not a jacket in sight! lol Love you, cuz!
Sorry, it posted twice. lol
P.S. Looking forward to Mark's marvelous cooking!
Bonnie, yes, you can buy windbreakers here or online. :)
Post a Comment