Thursday, December 11, 2008

Before I Start My Day. . .

I've been continuing on in my thoughts from yesterday, since I last posted, and I want to write some more about those, before I get too distracted. I was watching a movie on the Christian Broadcasting Network last night (they often have very good feature movies in the evenings), while Mark worked on some accounts from his job; the movie was done from Mary's point of view as the mother of Jesus. The woman who played the mature Mary also played Anakin's mother in Star Wars I, and she's just a terrific actress. Jesus was played by Christian Bale, and having two rather familiar faces to relate to, and such good acting in the roles, made it very effective...I could just completely identify with her feelings as a mother, and I felt deeply the sacrifice that both she and Jesus made for me. Then, going back to those feelings I've been experiencing, I thought how those feelings made me more receptive and empathetic to other human beings in their various circumstances and sufferings, even the sufferings of sin. I'm so grateful for anything that helps me feel that way, and I thought how our suffering here on earth often helps us succor others in their hours of need. I thought of how, in Mark's life, he has experienced some real trials and carried some heavy burdens, and how maybe Heavenly Father, knowing Mark is strong, gave him those so that he could succor those who aren't as strong, when they face similar trials. He does seem to be a natural helper and healer, by nature; in fact, he identifies himself with Samwise Gamgee from LOTRs, and he has a picture of Samwise on our wall. I think that is the kind of person he strives to be and what he finds most rewarding. That is so much a type of what our Savior did for us, even if it is just a reminder of what He has done. Jesus Christ is our Savior, and He suffered unjustly for someone's - for everyone's - sins, not just to satisfy the demands of justice, but also so that He could be the perfect one to help us. He was strong, to help us who are weak. I think about Mary, watching her child having those hardships thrust upon Him and having to trust Heavenly Father's will in the matter. How hard that must have been! And as I contemplate that, it also opens my mind to the possibility that my own children might experience things that are hard, because they are strong and compassionate, and therefore might be instruments of comfort to others in need. That is a marvelous thing to realize. It makes me wonder how many times I have not seen the complete picture, in many things. How often would I wonder why there is this or that allowed in the world, not understanding at all? If it can be true about one small thing, it can be true about so much. I don't have Heavenly Father's wisdom in the matters of life and learning, and I don't have His understanding of the joy that is possible, either. I do know this - that His plan is for our joy, and that is His purpose. I think I will give Him my fears, as I learn to walk in faith. I am still very much a student, but I have some excellent teachers and textbooks, and the classroom door is always open, so I'm hopeful.

1 comment:

meldoo said...

Thanks so much for your thoughts- they really help me, too. I feel overwhelmed by what was done for us through the Atonement. But it is so comforting to think that he has experienced whatever I might be suffering. And it is true that through our experiences we are able to succor others and offer them strength. But it's a high price to pay for compassion! But, in the end, worth it. Thank you for your thoughts. Love you!- Mel