Friday, August 30, 2013

Some comments made during our trip

I have wifi right now!  It's in the conference center where Mark is being trained, and I'm waiting here today while Mark is in class, 'cause we had to check out of our motel room.  It's so fun to travel with Mark and see new things, it makes me feel like a kid.  Most of the 5-hour (that's all!) drive was through dry, yellow territory that was empty and pretty dull, after going through Pendleton.  There were very colorful names the whole way:  Dead Man's Pass, Bridge of the Gods, a town called Echo, the John Day Dam, etc.   Once we reached the Columbia River Gorge, wow!  Pine trees!  They were so thick, you wouldn't believe it.  And huge!  Healthy and so green, it was just as described in The Egg and I.

Also, you could see Washington State, right across the river.  The views were full of misty mountains.  It felt primeval and pristine.  We talked about what Lewis and Clark must have thought as they crossed the country and came upon that.  And what about the Europeans, discovering our continent with all it resources and wildlife. 

No comments: